Continuing Education and Recertification
Maintaining your BCSI status is easy!
Every 4 years (based on the year you became a BCSI) you need to either re-certify through continuing education or re-take the exam*.
It’s your choice. Here’s how...
To maintain your BCSI credential, you must:
- Report 72 credits for continuing education or experience every four years.
- If you have less than 15 years of SI experience, 36 hours must be Category I Credits. The remaining hours can be any combination of Category II and III Credits. Visit the continuing education tab.
- If you have 15 or more years of SI experience, you may report 72 credits from any combination of Categories I, II, or III.
- If you also are reporting for IASI, one form will complete both requirements simultaneously.
- Submit a fee of $150 USD.
- Please read the policy to learn about credits, then report your CE credits.
Re-Take the Exam
Please check the Board Exam Schedule on our calendar of events from our home page.
*successfully completing the exam will earn you 8 Category I CE’s
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and HELP for Certification Maintenance
Is there a deadline?
- Yes. The deadline is December 1 of each year.
- If you miss the deadline, you may have a 30-day extension, but you must also pay an additional $100 fee to remain certified.
- Failure to renew by December 31 will result in loss of certification, and you may no longer use the BCSICM credential.
How do I know if I need to recertify?
- Certification must be renewed every 4 years.
- For example, if you certified before 2012, and have not ever recertified, you need to do it in 2015
- If you aren’t sure, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What must I do to keep my certification current?
What do I report on the form?
- 72 Continuing Education or Experience Credits must be reported every four years.
- There are 3 categories of Credits:
- 1 clock hour in a class or workshop is equivalent to 1 Credit.
- Many activities and experiences also earn Credits.
- Specific numbers of Credits are required per category.
- After 15 years of practice, all 72 Credits be earned from any categories. 36 Category 1 Credits are not required.
- ONLY practitioners in their first 15 years of practice must earn 36 Credits from Category 1.
Do I have to send in my certificates from classes or experiences?
- No. But you should organize and retain them in case you are audited.
- CBSI must randomly audit 10% of renewals each year. Evidence for the credits claimed will be required if selected for audit.
Do I have to complete the online reporting form in one sitting?
- Yes, the form will not retain all of your data to go back to it at a later date.
In the future, can I record my credits online as I earn them?
- No, you must fill out the CE online form in its entirety in one sitting.